Welcome to Victor Harbor Community Kindergarten
At Victor Harbor Community Kindergarten our core business is guided by our belief that children are capable and resourceful learners who are active contributors to their own learning, that they must be valued as individuals, within the context of their family and their community. We know that children can develop confidence and positive self-esteem through a supportive and secure environment.
Childhood memories last a lifetime.
- We are able to offer you a choice of sessions and times – please go to parent information tab
- The staff provides an environment which is child centred and open ended - developmentally appropriate and play based - interesting and challenging –inclusive and fun!
- The word ‘kindergarten’ translates to ‘(a) child’s garden’. It is also interchangeable with the word ‘preschool’ - Staff believe in nurturing both the physical and the intellectual being of every child in our own garden of learning.
- There is a large outdoor environment – with swings; play platform with a steps, a ramp and a slide; a boat and a cubby (which can be veterinary or medical clinic, a library, an art studio – the possibilities to a young child are endless.) There is ahuge sanded area for ‘cooking’ and road building, and separate dirt digging patch for all sorts of construction work; vegetable and flower gardens for nurturing and exploration. It is exciting and hands on learning! There’s a lawned area for games – t.ball, tennis, ‘what’s the time Mr Wolf?.There’s lots of shade at Victor Harbor Community Kindergarten too.
- We have a wonderful verandah area – enclosed with clear plastic blinds – which allows us to extend our outdoor environment when the weather keeps us from being outside – and allows the indoor area to spill out every day. There’s plenty of room for construction, woodwork, train track and big blocks, art and craft, puzzles and books.
- The air conditioned interior is big enough for 3 separate groups to have their own ‘mat/community’ times, as well as the traditional activities; a quiet place for curling up with a book, a table with pencils, crayons, textas and paper, tables for maths and literacy games, story tables – with books and imaginative play adjuncts. Arts, craft, play dough, sensory experiences. We have room for yoga and dance. There is an oven for cooking – we encourage healthy eating, and show how easy it is.
- Endless opportunities for your child to explore and be engaged, creative, have fun, and enjoy a sense of community – of belonging to a kindergarten that is staffed by adults who really care about your child and you.
- We go on excursions around our sea-side town; the beach, the Library, the whale centre, bush trails, the High School, lovely walks – we have ‘happy little feet’. We also attend local live theatre performances.
- We have a wide range of literacy packs for families to borrow
- You have the opportunity to have your say in your child’s kindergarten because it is collaboratively managed by a Governing Council (elected annually) and staff, in accordance with the Department for Education and Child Development policies.